Thursday, August 20, 2015

THE STONE FOXES FRONTMAN’S 11 OPEN HEART SURGERIES INSPIRE SONG “COLD LIKE A KILLER”

‘TWELVE SPELLS’ OUT SEPT 4

When front man Shannon Koehler of The Stone Foxes – the San Francisco rock & roll band that has over five million track streams on Spotify and has opened for the Black Keys – sat down to write about how his body and health on the new song “Cold Like a Killer,” he likened his body to a murder. The singer/harmonica player, who sometimes plays drums as well, has had eleven open-heart surgeries that he's had since he was eight.

Koehler says, "I take more pills that my Grandma Ruthie," then growing serious. I feel like my body is its own silent killer. I just tried to put that emotion on paper for 'Cold Like a Killer.'" Here's the song, from the forthcoming ‘Twelve Spells,’ out September 4: https://soundcloud.com/thestonefoxes/cold-like-a-killer?in=thestonefoxes/sets/foxes-first-fridays

Shannon says, "I was born with a leaking tricuspid valve. This allowed for my heart to enlarge and that lead to having tachycardia, a condition where extra nerves grow in your heart wall and make your resting heart rate jump, like how mine went up to 200bpm and sent me the ER twice. I've had 11 surgeries/procedures on my heart beginning with a procedure at age 8. My latest surgery was 5 years ago when I was the 3rd person ever – that's what UCSF told me – to get a new tricuspid valve put in intravenously... I'm in really good shape now. Need a new pacemaker battery in a year or so, but my valve should be good for a bit."

The reminders of his own mortality has also led to Shannon’s mission to go all-out on every show, knowing how important it is to seize the moment. The Stone Foxes have developed a well-earned reputation for memorable, wild, sweaty, all-over-the stage marathon shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment